Skip to main content

General/Account Questions

What utilities do Greer CPW provide?

CPW provides electricity, natural gas, wastewater and water for the City of Greer and surrounding areas. Learn more about our utilities.

Does CPW conduct trash pickups?

No. For information about trash pick up within Greer city limits, visit the City’s trash collection and yard waste page.

How do I start new service?

To have your residential services turned on you must file an application online or in-person at the Customer Service Center located at 301 McCall Street in Greer. Visit our start/stop service page for more information.

Is a deposit required prior to service?

For a new residential account, a deposit is not required but there is a service fee based on the number of metered services provided.  $30 for one metered service, $45 for two metered services and $60 for three metered services.

For a non-residential account, a deposit is required unless an irrevocable letter of credit or surety bond is issued.  Large customers may also submit company financials indicating a reduced credit risk or bond rating worthiness.  The service fee is based on the number of metered services provided.  $40 for one metered service, $60 for two metered services and $90 for three metered services.

How do I open an account?

Complete the online application form in the Customer Service tab or call us at (864) 848-5500.  Please have all your information available.  All requests must be received by 1:00 PM to get same day service.  If not, it will be the following business day.

How do I disconnect service?

You may use our online form or you may call or come into our office. All requests must be received by 1:00 PM to get same day service. If not, it will be the following business day. It is essential that you contact us because you are the only one that can disconnect your service. Be ready to give a forwarding address.

If I apply for services today, when will they be turned on?

If an application is completed, all necessary information obtained, and all fees paid by 1:00 pm then you may receive same-day service. However, during certain times of the year when demand is high, there may be a slight delay in starting service.

How can I pay my bill?

We have several options to pay your bill:

  • Pay your bill online (recommended). We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
  • AutoPay – AutoPay uses your bank or credit card information to electronically transfer money each month to pay your bill.  You can manage AutoPay through your Customer Service Portal.
  • Mail your payment along with the payment coupon in the envelope provided with the bill. Be sure to apply proper postage. Mail with sufficient time to reach us before the penalty due date.
  • Pay over the phone. We accept credit card payments (American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa) through our automated payment system. Call (864) 848-5500 or (864) 848-5501 and select option 3.
  • Pay in person. Customer Service personnel will accept your payment (cash, check, or credit/debit) from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, at our Customer Service Center located at 301 McCall Street near Downtown Greer. You may also use our drive-thru or secured drop box.

What if I can't pay my bill?

If you are having problems paying your bill, let us know so we can discuss your situation as the last thing we want to do is disconnect your service for non-payment.

However, if we are unaware of your situation and an arrangement has not been made, we will disconnect your service as a last resort. Disconnection occurs as soon as 10 days after the due date.

What service charges are assessed for late payment?

A 5% penalty is assessed the following morning if your account is not paid by the due date. If the account is disconnected, $50.00 reconnect fee will be due. If payments are due on a weekend, or one of our observed holidays, customers have the entire next business day to make the payment.

How do I read my bill?

Below is a glossary of terms you will see on your bill from Greer CPW.

  • Date of Bill – The date in which the current bill was processed and mailed to the customer.
  • Past Due – Total dollar amount of the previous bill, which may include other charges.
  • Current Amount – Total dollar amount of the current bill.
  • Total Due – Total dollar amount of the previous bill and current bill; however, if you show a past due; your service can be disconnected if this amount remains unpaid.
  • Due Date – The date that the current bill is due.
  • Meter Reading – Meters are normally read monthly for utility consumption. Take the previous reading from the current and multiply by multiplier (Multi).
  • Multiplier – Some customers are served through meters that require the registration to be multiplied by a factor to calculate your usage. The factor is called a multiplier and is required on all water meters.

How/when is my meter read?

All of our meters are read electronically. We have 15 different reading dates. For questions about your bill, contact us.

Why does my bill vary from month to month?

The cost of your services varies with seasonal use. Typically, there is more consumption during the summer and winter months rather than fall and spring. Summer heat usually causes increased usage of air conditioners and winter cold usually causes increased usage in heating as well as additional cooking. Nights are also longer in the winter and that requires the use of lights about twice as long as in summer months.

Another reason is because the number of days varies between meter readings (which is indicated on your bill). Each monthly bill normally covers 30 days; however, holidays and weekends also come into play.

Extreme weather may also cause your bill to fluctuate as well as new, changed or malfunctioning appliances.

Why is my neighbor's bill much lower or higher than mine?

When comparing your CPW utility bill with that of a neighbor, friend, or relative, keep in mind a couple of important factors. Since all of CPW’s utilities are usually included in the same bill, this type of bill will not compare directly with other systems’ billing. Customers of other utilities may receive separate power, gas, water and sewer bills depending on where they live. When comparing, be sure you are using the combination of all the utilities they have that are on your bill from CPW.

Another factor is insulation and efficiency. This can be influenced by the age of the home or major appliances. Personal comfort levels can vary greatly, and since most energy in a home or business is consumed for heating and cooling, the thermostat settings can be a major factor.

What is a basic facility charge?

The basic facility charge covers items such as metering, billing, customer service and other vital components of our operations that must continue regardless of consumption.

What should I do if I'm going to be gone?

If you plan to be away for an extended period of time, the electricity and gas will continue to be consumed unless you turn the main breaker off and shut off your gas appliances or you request to have your meters turned off by CPW.

In order to prevent your services from being unnecessarily disconnected during an extended absence, contact us through your Greer CPW account before you leave to make arrangements. We will be glad to figure out how much you will need to pre-pay or you can allow us to debit your bank account or charge your credit card for a certain period of time.

What is a CCF?

A CCF is a volumetric measure of natural gas. It represents the amount of gas contained in a space equal to one hundred cubic feet. A therm is a measurement of energy, or heat, equal to 100,000 BTU (British Thermal Units).

What are all the different color paint marks in my yard?

When any type of proposed excavation is to occur all of the underground utilities in the excavation area must be marked. Electric lines will be marked in red, gas lines in yellow, communication and CATV in orange, water lines in blue and your sewer lines in green. Remember that a locator is not going to mark the private lines you have installed yourself. These include septic tank lines and underground electric to garages or pools.

Who is responsible for repair and maintenance?

Greer CPW is responsible for maintenance and repair of our service up to the meter. The landlord/owner is responsible for the cost of repairs from the meter to the home.

What happens if my meter is tampered with?

You are responsible for the seals on your meters. NEVER tamper with a meter or break a seal because not only is it dangerous, it is illegal. Not only are you required to pay for the consumption and tampering fee, but we will also prosecute under the South Carolina laws.

What if I have an emergency after hours?

Greer CPW technicians are available 24/7.  While typical office hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, you can report any emergency to us by calling our after hours answering service at 864-848-5500.  Some examples of emergencies include a gas odor, gas leak, power line in the roadway or a damaged power pole.  You can also report electrical outages using your customer service portal.

Outages & Emergencies

What if the power goes out?

First, check your breakers and fuses. Next, check to see if your neighbors have service. If it still appears that there is a power outage, log into your Greer CPW account and hit the “Report Outage” button. Visit our outages page for more information.

How does CPW prevent outages?

At CPW, we work to maintain our system, ensuring that it is healthy and outages are minimal. We have an asset management program, where we regularly inspect, test and repair our infrastructure. Our asset management program means that we know when critical components of our system need replacing.

We also have a very proactive tree-trimming program to make sure our electric system experiences minimal outages, even during extreme weather events.

If you notice anything wrong with our system, report an outage online.

After an outage, how does Greer CPW decide which customers to restore first?

We repair the backbone of our electricity system—transmission lines and substations—that bring electricity to the local distribution system that serves our customers. We then make necessary repairs to the distribution system that includes power poles and power lines along streets and roads, focusing first on those circuits where we can restore power to the largest number of customers. As part of this process, we take into account the needs of hospitals, nursing homes, fire and police stations, as well as any other critical infrastructure.

What if the power must stay on for medical reasons?

If you or someone in your home has a serious health problem that requires continuous electric or gas service, please let us know. You will need to complete the “Special Needs” form which must be signed and sent to us by your doctor. You are still required to make timely payments. Please note that if we have a power outage, we will make every effort to restore service to our “Special Needs” customers as quickly as possible however you need to have a backup plan in place.

Why can't a representative tell me when my power will be restored?

It is impossible to accurately predict restorations of specific circuits serving particular residences because of the many challenges that we face; however, please know that we do everything possible to get service restored as promptly as possible.

Can I talk directly with a representative during an outage?

During major outages, it is unlikely that you will speak directly with a representative due to the high volume of calls associated with a major outage. However, our telephone system will allow you to leave information about your outage.

What should I do in case of an accident?

If a power line is down, DON’T touch it. Contact us immediately and warn others. If a power line falls on your car while you are in it, stay inside unless it catches fire. If the car catches on fire, jump clear of the car and power line without touching metal and the ground at the same time.

What causes outages?

Although we are committed to providing you the most reliable electric service possible, 24 hours a day, every day, events that are out of our control sometimes occur. Car wrecks, lightning, squirrels, high winds and winter storms are just a few examples. Whatever is the cause, we do our best to restore power as quickly as possible.

Am I being charged for electricity during a power outage?

You are only charged for the amount of electricity you use. During the time your service was interrupted, your meter did not register electric usage and you will not be charged for consumption.

How long will food in my refrigerator last without power?

We recommend leaving the refrigerator door shut and limiting the number of times you open it. The food will stay fresh for about 4 hours without power. We, unfortunately, are not able to reimburse customers for spoiled food.

Water Sanitation & Advisories

How is my water treated?

Your water is treated through a conventional process of coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, filtration and disinfection. Our water sources are Lake Robinson and Lake Cunningham, both of which are fed by the South Tyger River. Greer CPW coagulates the raw water by using chemicals with a positive charge. When the chemicals reach organic material like dirt and other particles, it causes the material to “ball up” or flocculate. The heavy material settles to the bottom of the tanks and this process is called sedimentation. Clear water on top will pass through filters to remove dust, parasites, bacteria and chemicals. After the filtration process, chloramine (a combination of chlorine and ammonia) is added to disinfect the water, making sure it’s safe to drink.

Why is chlorine in the water?

At CPW, we use a substance called chloramine to disinfect your water. It is added to ensure that all harmful organisms are killed before we place water into our distribution system. Chloramines are a combination of free chlorine and ammonia. CPW monitors the levels to make sure just the right amount is in the water. We use chloramine because it lasts longer in a large distribution system, especially during the hot months when the temperature can negate chlorine’s disinfection qualities.

Will CPW test my water?

Greer CPW will test water at your home, either at the nearest fire hydrant or occasionally at a spigot on the outside of your house. We typically perform a chlorine test to ensure there is enough “residual” chlorine at your home to make the water safe to drink. We will not test water from inside your home.

What's the difference between a boil water advisory and a notice?

“Boil Water Advisory” means an advisory, issued by the public water system, notifying the users of the water system that the water may be contaminated and to boil the water. “Boil Water Notice” means a notice, issued by the public water system, notifying the users of the water system that the water is contaminated and to boil the water.

Why are boil water advisories issued?

Boil water advisories are issued when a water source is shut off, or when a water source pressure level drops below 20 psi. With this loss of pressure, there is a great possibility for water to become contaminated with harmful bacteria.

What determines the length of a boil water advisory?

The results of water sample tests. When water service is restored, a Lab Analyst comes to the site to take water samples from several points in the affected service area. The samples must remain in an incubator for no less than 24 hours.  Depending on the results, the boil water advisory may need to be extended or it will be lifted.

How long must water be boiled prior to consumption?

Vigorously (rolling bubbles) for at least one (1) minute.

I've heard water needs to be boiled for longer than one minute, why do you say one?

The latest information from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) states that one minute is more than adequate for killing disease-causing organisms.

Why should I boil water prior to consumption?

Boiling the water kills harmful bacteria if the water is contaminated.

Do I still need to boil my water if I have a filtration system on my faucet or refrigerator?

Yes. Water filters are not designed to remove harmful bacteria.

If I consumed water before I knew of the advisory, what will happen?

If you consume water that is proven to be contaminated and you are in good health, you should not become ill. However, young children, some of the elderly and people with severely compromised immune systems may become ill.

What are some of the symptoms of consuming contaminated water?

Symptoms may include diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches or other symptoms. If you feel that your health has been compromised, you should seek medical attention.

Can I shower, bathe, wash dishes/clothes during a boil water advisory?

Yes.  You can continue to use tap water for bathing, showering, washing dishes and clothes during a boil water advisory.  A boil water advisory only applies to water that is being consumed like eating or drinking.

Can my pets drink the water during a boil water advisory/notice?

Pets should also drink boiled water until the boil water advisory or notice is lifted.  As a reminder, please make sure the water is cool before allowing pets to drink.

Contact Us

Have questions that aren’t answered above? Please contact us for more information. Our team looks forward to serving you!

Get in Touch